DICASA was founded in March 2010 by a number of companies involved in the South African exploration drilling industry to develop a certification framework for people working in the industry.
Seven major South African contracting and supply companies formed the foundation of DICASA - these founder member companies are:
ince no recognised drilling qualifications currently exist, this initiative was taken to address requirements of mining and exploration companies.
A necessary first step in designing a certification framework is to critically analyse why a certification framework is necessary. Different sectors of the industry want the certification structure to deliver different things but an essential objective of the certification framework is to satisfy mining and exploration houses that contractor staff employed on their projects are competent to safely operate the equipment in use and that they have a good understanding of the Health, Safety, Environment and Community (SHEC) policies of the mining house.
In addition to meeting the requirements of mining and exploration houses, the DICASA certification framework has been designed to satisfy a number of other requirements - the objectives of the DICASA Certification Framework can therefore be summarised as follows:
- To provide a mechanism to certify the competence of Drillers and Drill Rig Assistants to operate equipment in a variety of defined drilling specialisations.
- To provide a mechanism through which Drillers and Drill Rig Assistants can be recognised for the skills and many years of experience that they have, and
- To provide a development pathway along which people working in the industry can progress based on their knowledge, skills and experience.
We believe that the DICASA certification framework will result in the entrenchment of enhanced standards of practice. We also believe that the development of a pathway along which operational staff can progress will ultimately make the drilling industry an attractive one, resulting in new people being attracted to our rapidly “greying” industry.
The original Management Committee comprised of one representative from each of the Founder Member Companies:
- Nelson Booth, HR Manager Geosearch SA (Pty) Ltd
- Armando Cravo, Managing Director, Rosond Exploration (Pty) Ltd
- Graham Martin, General Manager, Atlas Copco Exploration Products (Pty) Ltd
- Pierre Le Clus, Surface Drilling Manager, Murray and Roberts Cementation (Pty) Ltd
- Louis Ludik, Managing Director, Drillcon CC
- Francois Conradie, General Manager, Discovery Drilling CC
- Eddie Dixon, General Manager, Drillcorp Africa (Pty) Ltd (now MasterDrilling Exploration (Pty) Ltd.)
The committee was chaired by Colin Rice, Managing Director, Colin Rice Exploration and Training (Pty) Ltd.